Hot and Cold Rice Bowl with Chicken and Veggies
Inspired from an article in Real Simple
- 4 servings of Perfectly Cooked Brown Rice
- Peanut Oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, diced**
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced cloves of garlic
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Fat free Greek yogurt (1-2 cups)
- Half and half (1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 red pepper, small diced
- 2 English cucumbers (seedless b/c they hold up better) small diced
- Frozen edamame, thawed and shelled
- Cook brown rice according to packet instruction, but add one bouillon per cup of water used.
- Cut your veggies into bite sized pieces. Try to get them all about the same size.
- Add oil to a large pan, (I used a Dutch oven) and brown chicken breasts with some salt and pepper on Medium-High heat (level 8 for me). When the chicken is done, take it out and set aside on a plate.
- In that same pan, but at a level 4-5 (medium to medium low, and with more oil if you need to), sauté onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. But watch the garlic and be careful not to burn it.
- Slowly add 1 cup water, 2 chicken bouillon cubes, 2 cups of yogurt, and 1/4 cup of half and half to the pan. I say slowly because I don’t measure. Add a little at a time until it’s about the same thickness as gravy. Put the temp on medium-low and use a whisk to incorporate everything evenly. This will probably take 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro, chopped parsley, and the capers. Mix well with either the whisk or a wooden spoon.
- Wait until the herbs have started to “melt” into the sauce, and then return the chicken to the pan.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Let it cook over low (1-3 heat) for about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls. Put the rice on the bottom. Drizzle a little sauce over all the rice before creating a section for chicken, and a section for each veggie.