Nanny’s Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
This recipe is a recreation of the sausage balls Nanny always made at Christmas and on New Year’s Day. Sausage balls are nothing too fancy, and they’re distinctly both retro and southern. There is absolutely nothing healthy about these, but if you roll them small and bring them to a potluck, everyone will help you eat them. They’re delicious– and they are good as an appetizer or for a holiday breakfast.
You can make them with mild sausage, like I do. Or if you’re serving people who like spicy stuff, go a little spicier. Since we stay in Virginia for holidays, and my grandmother is in Florida, I decided to carry on the tradition and make them for my kids, too.
Since these are heavy and something I would usually make in the winter, it can take a while to soften the cream cheese because it’s cold outside. I think it’s also best to work with room temperature sausage. My trick for bringing them to room temperature is to cube the cream cheese and add it plus the sausage into the bowl of my stand mixer. Then I let it sit in front of the fireplace for about 1 hour. Otherwise it would take all day to soften. I also do this when I need room temperature butter in the winter!
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes: 30-36 small balls or 24 large balls
Difficulty Level: Easy
1 pound of country sausage, at room temperature
1 8 ounce block of cream cheese, at room temperature
4 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 ¼ cup baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- Add the sausage, cream cheese, and cheddar to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment, and mix the ingredient on low just to incorporate.
- Add the baking mix in 2 batches, and mix on low to incorporate. Don’t overmix ingredients or the balls will become tough.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and make sure everything is incorporated.
- Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the dough, and roll into bite-sized balls.
- Arrange them about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool before serving. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.